Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The games people play

I have never been a big game player. Never liked cards or board games. I never played the stupid drinking games that all the other teenagers played. I am at best, a reluctant pool player. But, I have a special dislike for party games. You know like Taboo and Scattershit or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I love parties, and drinking for that matter. Party games, though, just distract from the real reason for parties, that is, hanging out and shooting the shit with people I like. Of course, this means that I spend the Christmas season trying to avoid parties. Everybody wants to play Secret Santa or whatever that game is called where everyone brings in something stupid that they do not want and everybody leaves with a different something stupid they do not want.

I really do not understand the attraction of these games. People that I work with all year have this dark side that requires them to play stupid games. These are people who are excellent professionals. They take pride in their work. I seek out their opinions when I have to make decisions. You think you know someone and then all of the sudden they are looking forward to trading stupid shit with someone. I do not get it. What is it that I lack that I cannot take any joy from this, apparently, excellent time.

I have a decision to make. I am supposed to RSVP for the office "Holiday" party tomorrow. But the thing is, I don't want to play the stupid game they have planned. The food will be good. The party is at my favorite restaurant. The folks will be great. Plus, if I skip it, it looks bad. I don't know. Maybe I will just get through the day tomorrow and not remember, then the decision will be made for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment